Here are some of the plant characteristics to look for when identifying succulents:
- Leaf – shape, size and thickness.
- Color – of leaves, flowers or stems.
- Markings or bumps on the leaves.
- Flower – shape, color, number of blooms and petals.
- Stem – color, texture, length.
- Ciliate hairs.
- Epicuticular wax.
- Spikes, spines or smooth.
Thereof, how many types of succulents are there?
Succulents become all the more interesting because they come in different variants. As a matter of fact, there are more than 500 succulent varieties according to Country Living. These types of succulents could be identified through the shape of their leaves, petals and even through stems and spikes.
Likewise, what are good succulent names?
Cute & Funny Succulent Name Suggestions
- Smeagol, from Lord of the Rings (for gollum jade plant) …
- Babar (for elephant bush plant)
- Jesus (for crown of thorns succulent)
- Donkey, from Shrek (for burro’s tail succulent)
- Katy Perry (for flaming katy kalanchoe)
- Jennifer-Lynn Hayden, from DC Comics (for jade plant)
Do succulents need sunlight?
Make Sure Your Succulents Get Enough Light
Succulents love light and need about six hours of sun per day, depending on the type of succulent. Newly planted succulents can scorch in direct sunlight, so you may need to gradually introduce them to full sun exposure or provide shade with a sheer curtain.
Keep reading for the top 10 most popular types of indoor succulents.
- Burro’s Tail (sedum morganianum) …
- Crown of Thorns (euphorbia milii) …
- Flaming Katy (kalanchoe blossfeldiana) …
- Aloe Vera (aloe vera) …
- Panda Plant (kalanchoe tomentosa) …
- Pincushion Cactus (mammillaria crinita) …
- Roseum (sedum spurium)
Because aloe vera plants are succulents, the type of soil you choose can really make or break your success. The Old Farmer’s Almanac suggests a sandy soil with a neutral pH. Potting mix made for cacti and succulents is always a great choice.
Mini succulents are in the cacti plant family, with fleshy, water-storing stems/leaves which enable them to use water very efficiently. That means they’re low maintenance and hard to kill, even if you forget to water.
Some succulents don’t live long but grow offsets to replace themselves. A great example is Chicks and Hens. The main plant only
|Jade Plant||70-100 years|
|Christmas Cactus||30+ years|
The most important rule for watering succulents is this: Only water when the soil in the succulents’ growing container is bone dry. We repeat, let the soil dry out completely between waterings. If the soil isn’t crumbly, dry dirt, don’t water it. See, most houseplants want their soil moist at all times.