Senecio articulatus, or Candle Plant, is a unique succulent featuring blue-green tubular stems with large joints (oddly resembling linked sausages). The deeply lobed, cupped leaves may flush purple when exposed to strong light. Over time, it will form into larger clumps.
Just so, how do you look after a candle plant?
How to Care for a Candle Bush Plant
- Select a full-sun location for the Candle Bush plant where the soil is well-draining. …
- Water the plant weekly when rainfall isn’t sufficient, to supply at least a half-inch of water and keep the soil moist.
Moreover, what do succulent plants symbolize?
Succulents symbolize enduring and timeless love for they are tenacious plants that store water in their thick leaves and stems.
How do I identify a succulent?
Here are some of the plant characteristics to look for when identifying succulents:
- Leaf – shape, size and thickness.
- Color – of leaves, flowers or stems.
- Markings or bumps on the leaves.
- Flower – shape, color, number of blooms and petals.
- Stem – color, texture, length.
- Ciliate hairs.
- Epicuticular wax.
- Spikes, spines or smooth.
Senecio articulatus, commonly called the Candle Plant or Hot Dog Cactus, is a member of the Asteraceae (Compositae) family and a native of South Africa. … Senecio articulatus picture by Stephen Boisvert. As it is a drought-resistant clump-forming succulent sub-shrub, it is ideal for growing in dry arid areas.
Growing candle bush can be started from seed. Soak seeds overnight and direct sow in the spring when chances of frost have passed. Keep in mind, candlestick senna may reach 15 feet (4.5 m.) in height, so make sure it has room to shoot up and out.
It is a fast growing tropical shrub or small tree capable of reaching 25 feet in height in a frost-free climate, but typically is seen as a 10- to 15-foot tall rounded shrub in gardens. It has large compound leaves up to 16 inches long with oval, 3-inch long leaflets arranged neatly down the rachis.
Candlestick (Senna alata nee Cassia alata) looks very much like a gigantic candlestick. It has many bright yellow bloom spikes that do resemble candles. … They will grow and bloom right up to frost. If you get one to bloom early enough, you can harvest the black seed pods for next year’s crop of plants.
Senna Alata or Cassia Alata is a very important medicinal plant with amazing medicinal uses and health benefits. Traditionally, it has been used for treating insect bites, ringworm, wounds, as a laxative, hypertension, skin diseases, decoction of the leaves are used for cough and to get rid of intestinal worms.
Candle Plant (Cassia alata)
- Plant Feed. Apply a balanced liquid fertilizer monthly.
- Watering. Allow soil to dry between thorough waterings.
- Soil. Fertile, well-drained soil.
- Basic Care Summary. Plant in a reliably sunny spot. Best in fertile, well-drained soil.
For the best performance, provide White Candles with a warm shaded location in a moist but well-draining slightly acidic soil. It will tolerate early morning sunlight but prefers bright shade and it will have the best foliage color where it gets midday and afternoon shade.