Senecio articulatus, or Candle Plant, is a unique succulent featuring blue-green tubular stems with large joints (oddly resembling linked sausages). The deeply lobed, cupped leaves may flush purple when exposed to strong light. Over time, it will form into larger clumps.
Likewise, what is a hot dog cactus?
Senecio articulatus, commonly called the Candle Plant or Hot Dog Cactus, is a member of the Asteraceae (Compositae) family and a native of South Africa. … Senecio articulatus picture by Stephen Boisvert. As it is a drought-resistant clump-forming succulent sub-shrub, it is ideal for growing in dry arid areas.
Considering this, how do you care for a succulent sun plant?
Succulents love light and need about six hours of sun per day, depending on the type of succulent. Newly planted succulents can scorch in direct sunlight, so you may need to gradually introduce them to full sun exposure or provide shade with a sheer curtain.
How do you propagate a hot dog cactus?
To propagate using cuttings, cut one of the stems just below a joint segment.
- Allow the cut stem to dry overnight.
- The cut end should harden.
- Dip it in rooting hormone before placing it in a well-drained succulent soil mix.
Here are some of the plant characteristics to look for when identifying succulents:
- Leaf – shape, size and thickness.
- Color – of leaves, flowers or stems.
- Markings or bumps on the leaves.
- Flower – shape, color, number of blooms and petals.
- Stem – color, texture, length.
- Ciliate hairs.
- Epicuticular wax.
- Spikes, spines or smooth.
Browning of a string of dolphin leaves could be either caused by overwatering or underwatering. When this happens, make sure to check the dryness of the soil and adjust your watering technique appropriately to prevent further damage.
How to Care for a Candle Bush Plant
- Select a full-sun location for the Candle Bush plant where the soil is well-draining. …
- Water the plant weekly when rainfall isn’t sufficient, to supply at least a half-inch of water and keep the soil moist.
String of dolphins are most commonly grown indoors as houseplants, although they can also be grown outdoors. However, they are not frost-tolerant succulents and require warm weather year-round in order to survive outdoors.
High maintenance cost
Sometimes, succulents can take a lot of time to grow. The longer it takes for a plant to grow, the more financial resources and energy are used on it. … These factors can cause a higher price for the succulent.
14 Of The Coolest Succulent Plants You Will Ever See And How You Can Get Them
- Albuca Spiralis — The Spiral Succulent. …
- Haworthia — The Pearl Succulent. …
- Crested Senecio Vitalis — The Mermaid Tale Succulent. …
- Conophytum Bilobum — The Heart Succulent. …
- Sedeveria Pink Ruby Succulent — The Color Changing Succulent.
White, yellow or pink flowers sprout from the stem. It is one of the most expensive succulents out there. This type of cactus typically costs around USD $645. The Paper Spine cactus is usually rare in the wild.