Wide, shallow pots are actually increasing in popularity these days. They are easier to handle than deep containers and they come in a variety of stylish options. … You can never go wrong with varieties of these plants in shallow pots. They don’t need deep roots to thrive.
Just so, how do I make my plant pot shallow?
Lightweight Pot Fillers for Containers
- Plastic milk jugs (not cartons)
- Laundry detergent containers.
- Water bottles.
- Plastic soda bottles.
- Contact solution bottles.
- Protein powder containers.
- Plastic pots turned upside down (such as the planting pots that you get with the plant at the garden center)
Additionally, what can I plant in a shallow clay pot?
The best indoor plants for shallow pots are cacti, succulents and bonsai trees. These are most commonly grown in wide, shallow pots, rather than tall. This is because their roots are shallow and tend to spread out rather than down, so any plants with shallow root systems will grow healthy in shallow pots.
Can you plant marigolds in a shallow pot?
Any type of marigold can be grown in containers, but keep in mind that some types, such as African marigolds, can reach heights of up to 3 feet (1 m.) and may be too large for standard containers. Most gardeners like to plant smaller container grown marigolds.
Most of the herbs grow well in shallow pots, but there are herbs like dill, cilantro, and lavender that needs 3 – 5 gallon sized containers. Be careful about the drainage too and always check the drainage holes.
Plant Pots Alternatives
- Colanders. Colanders can be your alternatives to traditional baskets. …
- Tin Cans. After you have eaten your canned foods, you can gather your cans and use paint to renew them. …
- Teapot. A teapot can be either your watering can or a planter. …
- Muffin Tins. …
- Sink. …
- Plastic Bottles.
2) You can use less dirt to plant. 3) Plastic bottles at the bottom of the planter allow for excellent drainage. 4) Plastic bottles at the bottom of the planter promote air circulation and will help to keep the roots of your plant cool.
What flowers can grow in 6 inches of soil?
- Sweet Alyssum.
- Dwarf Marigolds.
- African Violet.
The ideal pot size for succulents should be about 10% wider than the plant itself. If you are looking at shallow or deep pots, always choose the shallow pot. The depth of the pot should be 10% bigger than the plant.
The Best Foods to Grow in a Small Space Container Garden
- Strawberries. Easy to grow and delicious for snacking, strawberries can be grown in containers like this one to save space.
- Blueberries. …
- Blackberries. …
- Tomatoes. …
- Peppers. …
- Herbs. …
- Cucumbers and Zucchini. …
- Citrus Trees (Dwarf Varieties)